DETROIT CHILDREN'S FUND TEAM FELLOWS
Applications for the 2018 Detroit Team Fellows are now closed.
Thank you for your interest. Future opportunities will be posted to this page.
Detroit Children’s Fund (DCF) has partnered with School Empowerment Network (SEN) to offer an intensive development opportunity for school leadership teams. In line with its mission to create 25,000 quality seats by 2025, the DCF Team Fellows program will help leadership teams raise the bar for student achievement in an effort to be among the top-performing schools in Michigan.
We believe that Detroit is home to talented educators who — when properly recognized, developed, and supported — have great potential to lead lasting, transformative change in their schools.
SEN coaches will train school leadership teams to set ambitious goals and lead an invested staff to reach them. Leadership teams will be provided strategic direction and support as they maintain focus on their school vision, build an inclusive school culture, raise academic expectations, and create positive momentum for their school community.
The initial cohort will include three like-minded school leadership teams who will leverage the strength of their coaches and each other to improve in the following areas:
Leading higher quality instruction by establishing expectations and holding staff accountable for their implementation
Creating a supportive environment for all students by reducing suspensions and creating positive classroom culture
Building and honing systems and structures aligned to school vision by establishing predictable and well-defined school-wide routines
Who Should Apply?
Detroit Children’s Fund is inviting schools with the potential to rise to the state’s top performers. Ideal candidates for DCF Team Fellows will have:
- A clear vision for engaging and rigorous instruction, and a culture that supports success for all students
- A growth mindset and the ability to translate feedback into action
- Demonstrated investment in their school communities and in each other as teammates
- An unmitigated sense of personal responsibility for every child’s success
- A clear understanding and awareness of individual and team strengths and development areas
- A sense of urgency and dissatisfaction with status quo
- The belief that rigorous, energetic, and supportive classrooms are the key levers for change in a school
School leadership teams should apply together, not as individuals.
November 20 – Initial Application Deadline
December 1 – Finalists Selected
December 21 – Program Participants Announced
Benefits for Selected Schools
Coaching: Selected teams will receive coaching and on-site support.
Community: Schools will be part of a cohort of three like-minded teams with the opportunity to learn from one another through intensive offsite PD, inter-visitation, and sharing best practices.
Recognition: Participating schools will:
- Become model schools in the city and state
- Increase SGP to become a statewide top performer
- Attract and retain high-quality talent
- Access additional funding opportunities
- Become candidates for school replication
Expectations of DCF Team Fellows
- Full-day school visits with coaches twice a month
- Team leadership meetings outside of normal school hours
- School-wide achievement plans
DCF raises philanthropic funds to invest in creating, supporting, and growing high-quality public schools by investing in:
- The REPLICATION of successful Detroit schools so that they can serve significantly more students.
- PROVEN school models not currently in Detroit. We recruit them to the city and support their planning and start-up.
- TALENT support and development initiatives, because school leaders and teachers are the bedrock of any great school.
DCF’s investments will ultimately result in the creation of 25,000 new high-quality seats in schools across the city by 2025.
School Empowerment Network coaches have an average of 15 years of school and district experience, which informs their high-quality, on-site coaching and ability to help schools set and reach big goals.